Wednesday, August 8, 2018

day twenty-two: stanley to granville (135km)

Learned this evening that -- after many crazy convolutions -- I will not be allowed to study programming at the local college after all. The problem is that they do not accept the high school physics course I took, and although I took the course a second time this spring and completed it 6 July, the adult education program was closed all of July until two days ago, and now the national grade database is locked until next Monday. That I provided evidence of completing the course (and receiving an A) does not count because I lack the official record -- for a few more days than the college was willing to wait. Hey, at leadt this gives me a few more days to finish my ride.

Ate my second breakfast at the diner in Stanley. The waitress was great, but the food was decidedly mediocre.

Stopped for water mid-afternoon at a house where I'd just seen someone drive in. The woman was very friendly and happily gave me water. "I have a friend who does that sort of thing. I could never do it myself."

Finally have gotten to the point in my trip where people are more impressed by where I'm riding from than where I'm riding to.

Made it to the bike shop in Minot with an hour to spare. Learned that the cyclist I met in Wolf Point (and saw go by just beyond Williston) had been in six hours earlier. My glue job on my shoe has been holding brilliantly for three days now, and I didn't see any shoes on display anyway; but I did replace my helmet, which had started falling apart.

Stopped again for water at a bar along the old highway in Surrey. Chatted with a woman at the bar while I waited for the bartender. "I took in a group of cyclists last year when my husband wasn't home. He was so furious when he found out. 'You didn't know a damn thing about them. They could have done anything to you.' But I took one look and knew they were okay. They sent me such wonderful pictures, too, when they reached Maine!"

Camping tonight in the Granville City Campground. Once again, I have the place all to myself. Not clear if there's a charge or not. Tried calling the number posted for after hours, but got no answer. Will check in at the town offices in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment