Thursday, August 16, 2018

day twenty-nine: warba to duluth (111km)

Second breakfast at the Great American Roadhouse, with lots of kitschy memorabilia and photos. Theit cranberry bread French toast was pretty good.

Arroving Duluth area, I asked Google maps how to get to the campground. The route it suggested was fairly long and circuitous and required some backtracking. But it also offered a much shorter route. Heh. I almost missed a key turn because it was across a vacant dirt lot -- which led to a footpath of sorts, into the forest. I cycled the first 600m then got off and walked, maybe 1.5km after which I reached something like proper road again and then, suddenly, suburbia.

I asked the woman at the campground office for a secluded site. (I knew they had tenting-only sites.) "Well, I have two left." One was right by the entrance, the other by a pavilion. I forlornly asked which would be more secluded. "The one by the entrance, I suppose. But it is right by the entrance." Then when I was turning to go, she asked whether I might like something more secluded -- and directed me to one of the tenting-only sites I'd wanted in the first place! "It's walk-in only, but I suppose that's okay, because you can wheel your bike in" (!).

The two guys at the next site rode in in a car. 😎 They're going to spend a few days mountain biking. Talked a while to the one, who grew up on the Nez Peirce reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment