Friday, August 24, 2018

day thirty-seven: màckinac city to clear lake state park (112km)

Cycled back into town (backtracking!) for breakfast with Lenny at the Brookside Diner ("I have so many friends in the Ukraine who want to come here, but Americans work too hard, they never have time for life; me, I have this business four months a year, work in Florida four months but try not to work too hard, and go to the Ukraine for four months"), followed by groceries from a minimart (my only choice it seems) and a mad hunt for white gas, which I seems to be available only in gallon size. (One place even told me, "I've never seen it in a smaller size" and another place, "everyone's using the [pressurized] cannisters these days.") In the end I bought a gallon from Walmart in Cheboygan and two bottles to try to put the excess in, but I still ended up hunting around the Walmart parking lot for someone who would dispose of the rest. Maybe the sixth person I asked finally did.

Hot and a strong crosswind most of the day. Michigan 33, which I've followed since Cheboygan, is a quiet road. Think I passed just two small towns, next to each other. Feeling kinda crappy so stopped at the state park campground rather than going on four miles to the state forest campground. Shower after three days was nice, but cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment