Saturday, August 18, 2018

day thirty-one: superior to ashland (111km)

Highlight of the day was the bridge out. I knew that a stretch of Route 2 was closed, with a long detour. When I got there, I saw that it was a bridge out (as I suspected), but the bridge was only 0,6mi ahead. I've gone through such obstacles before; one time, in Pennsylvania, I came to an old-fashioned iron trestle bridge with the entire deck removed. The workers invited me to walk across on the bare girders, and I did.

In this case the workers paid me no attention. The new bridge was in place but not the road surface leading up to or from it. I had to lift the bike about 30cm onto the span and lower it again on the othet side. For a wonderful number of miles, I had only local traffic to deal with and the road mostly to myself.

Otherwise there was the spot early in the day where the road suddenly became a limited-access highway for 5mi. I got off at the next exit and, at Google Maps' suggestion, turned onto old Route 2. Sadly, that didn't last, and for the rest of the 5mi. I was on the Tri-county Corridor: a rail trail. That would have been fine but the rail bed was very sandy on places.

No comments:

Post a Comment