Saturday, August 25, 2018

day thirty-eight: clear lake state park to island lake NF campground (92km)

Wind was not so strong as the day before, but it was a headwind rather than a crosswind. Temperatures were more moderate at least, so not like cycling into a blast furnace. Had second breakfast in Atlanta, where I overheard the following from a fellow diner, sitting with his wife (I assume), watching Fox News, which I could neither see nor hear (volume turned down): "What this country needs is more assassins. It might sound a bit extreme, but I really wish someone would assassinate that woman." Naturally, I wondered who "that woman" is, though I could and did make some guesses.

Took a break from the wind to visit a craft shop full of concrete, stone and wood figures. The owner makes all the concrete figures herself. Took another break from the wind for a garage sale. In Mio I was drawn in to a restaurant by a sign advertising Friday fish fry. Not too impressed by the food though, so I made a noncommittal positive sound when the waitress asked me how it was.

All alone in the national forest campground save for the hosts, who told me it's been a very quiet summer. "Problem was that the Fourth of July came in the middle of the week, and that messed everybody up. Never got back into rhythm after that." The man said he was bored but was there "for sake of marital harmony. My wife really loves it here."

No comments:

Post a Comment