Thursday, August 30, 2018

day forty-two: saline to grand rapids, ohio (122km)

Had a scary moment this afternoon: a passing car started laying on its horn the moment it saw me and kept on to it was past. I can't guarantee that I was off on the (very narrow) shoulder at the start, but as soon as I heard the horn, I was. The car kept on honking. I was so shaken that I half stopped, half crashed into the barrier at the side of the road. A little while later, a pickup honked hard right as it was passing. I confess I cursed at length, and loudly. I mean, I get it that they don't believe that bikes should be on the road; but they could cause an accident doing that.

Good to be back on the road after nearly three days off, proofreading. Stopped for second breakfast in Clinton, not because I really needed it but because I'd decided to submit a job application after all, with a deadline at 6pm today. Weather was gorgeous all day: mid to upper twenties, with a light wind from the north.

Stopped a couple times for something to drink -- the first time right after those scary encounters. Just had to fill my water bottles once (and I even forgot to fill them before leaving Josh's). Second place offered me all-you-can-eat free pizza; I wasn't so hungry, so I just took a slice. ("If people don't take it, I'm going to have to throw it away.")

Called Tim and Aunt Ruth. Got them this time. Told them I hoped to make it there (Olmsted Falls) Saturday evening or Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment