Monday, August 27, 2018

day thirty=nine: island lake to saginaw (144km)

The guy at the campground said it was all downhill to Saginaw. That didn't turn out to be true, but it was downhill all the way to Rose City, 7mi.  Quiet former highway from Alger to Standish (which has a lovely train station, albeit no trains) then four lanes, often with no shoulder, to Bay City.

Stopped for a malted milkshake at a drive-in restaurant in Pinconning -- one of the last half dozen in the country, apparently. I told the owner that the only other one I'd ever seen is the Red Rabbit in Clark's Ferry, PA. She offered me free onion rings for the road, which I gracefully accepted, and then a hamburger, which I politely declined. "I know you're not charitable," she said, "but I am" to which I replied, "Erm, I'm not?" I got a photo of her and her children, who run the restaurant with her.

Bay City was lots of busy roads, well to do. Lovely "wild" area south of town, then Saginaw was obviously much, much poorer, with very bad roads.

No camping around Saginaw, that I could see, so I booked a room at the Red Roof Inn. The room was basic but fine. It could have been cleaned better, especially under the bed, and I didn't appreciate the roll-up cigarette floating in the toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment