Monday, August 20, 2018

day thirty-four: glidden lake to gladstone (133km)

Got chatting to a gentleman in the convenience store in Sagola who turned out to be a fervent anti-Trumper, "unlike everyone else around here." He went on, "I'm worried he won't ever wiłlingly to leave the office." I assured him I had the same concern. "At least he'll never get re-elected." I wasn't so sure.

I stopped for a fantastic bean burger at an unlikely tavern in Perronville which, despite still being in the Central time zone by a handful of miles, had -- I noticed -- its wall clock set to Eastern.

It was an inexplicably satisfying feeling to cross the line. Shortly thereafter my day-long detour from Route 2 was over, and I was back amid all the familiar traffic, notched up because I was on my way into Escanaba, a fairly large city.

Stopped at the supermarket in Escanaba for breakfast supplies and listened to the checkout clerk discuss with one of the other clerks his inability to grow a beard or even look unshaved. The other clerk was, apparently the same age and had a full and, indeed, bushy beard. I observed as I was leaving that I hadn't been able to grow a (proper) beard till I was 30.

No fever today. I'm still not back at 100% but I'm a great deal better than yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment