Wednesday, August 22, 2018

day thirty-six: melvyn creek to mackinac city (145km)

Stopped for coffee at the general store in Gulliver, about ten miles from the campground; then discovered that the village also had a gas station / convenience store that took cards, so got ice cream and pizza as well. I know; healthy breakfast!

Not much for towns the whole day. Crosswind not infrequently became a tailwind, and it was much warmer... low 20s, perfect temp.

Cyclist switched direction to ride with me a half mile through Naubinway and advise about the Cut River Gorge detour. He asked if I planned to try riding through the bridge out and I said yes, I did. He'd ridden down to the bridge but not across.

Took me another maybe 15 miles to reach the bridge. The only problem I had was that, navigating around the construction materials, I brushed against some fencing that looked like plastic but was metal. I stopped a hundred meters down the road to make sure nothing was damaged, only to discover I was missing my tent. Went back and, sure enough, it was hanging (unscathed) off the fence. The drawstring had caught on the fence and pulled the tent right out.

Stopped for the obligatory pasty before leaving the UP, couple miles before the bridge. Think ground beef and potato pie: not fantastically tasty but heavy, very filling. Got to St. Ignace and discovered that my mobile phone couldn't find any compatible mobile network, and I needed to look up the directions for crossing the bridge. So I cycled back to McDs and borrowed their WiFi.

Seems I was to hop on the interstate down to the toll booth and order transport at the administration building, five bucks. Took maybe ten minutes to get anyone's attention, then waited another 15 minutes ("you might have to wait a minute or so") for the pickup to appear. The driver was very friendly and gave me a rundown of basic facts about the bridge while we crossed. The bridge was opened in 1958. It's longer than the Golden Gate Bridge but not as high. Still, at its highest point it's 250ft. above the water.

Opted for the city campground two miles south of town. Forgot to stop at a supermarket on the way, so I'm left with buying eggs from the self-serve fridge and mixing them with the few items I have left. Going to be another fairly chilly night.

No comments:

Post a Comment