Tuesday, August 7, 2018

day twenty-one: williston to stanley (121km)

Staying in the Stanley municipal campground tonight: electricity, hot showers, and no charge! ...Directly across the tracks from the Amtrak station. Found this place on Google. Policeman came and registered me, which just consisted of photographing my ID. There's a cafe just past the Amtrak station for my second breakfast tomorrow. Want to get up early so I can make it to the bike shop on Minot before it closes at six and make it another 30km to a similar campground to this one.

Stopped at the post office before leaving Williston to mail a few things to myself c/p my sister. Cycling down the highway afterward, a car waved me over. It was the postmaster. I'd left my camera on the counter! I told her this was service above and beyond the call of duty.

Blazingly hot and water hard to come by. I stopped by a farm for water because I saw two men out in the yard. I guzzled down a bottleful of the (well) water and refilled both my water bottles -- but threw most of it out when I shortly reached a gas station, because it tasted so awful.

Stopped for a pizza when I got to to town. Asked for directions here from the convenience store clerk from whom I bought the pizza. Her directions were mostly useless, but thankfully I have a mobile signal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment