Friday, August 10, 2018

day twenty-four: kenner's campground to larimore dam (120km)

Another short day today, this time because I again broke a drive-side spoke, somewhere beyond Lakota. Had to cycle somewhat slowly and carefully till I could get somewhere (Michigan) to retrue the wheel to compensate, and naturally that took time, too. The fate of the rest of my trip is largely in the hands of what I find for bike mechanics in town tomorrow, and how much time they need. Looking like I should replace the tires at the same time. These guys are good but nothing like the tire sone years ago that I figured I got 10,000 miles from.

I'm growing tired of the lack of consistent shoulders on Route 2 not to mention the dual carriageway. Of Route 2 stays four lane through much of Minnesota, I'll look for alternate routes. Route 2 was such a great cycling road through Montana.

 Woman came over from one of the neighbouring campsites this morning asking if I wanted carrot cake to take with me. She and her husband are on their way from Alberta, where she teaches at university, to the town in Minnesota where she grew up. I know the campground in that town where they're staying the next ten days; it's right along Route 2 in a couple hundred kilometers. So I may see them again.

Stopped for second breakfast and groceries in Devil's Lake, which looks like a tourist-trap town that's overgrown into a city. Their big thing is catering to fishermen. Stopped for a drink in Lakota and,vof course, in Michigan, where I trued my wheel. Drank like crazy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment