Tuesday, July 31, 2018

day fourteen: sprague creek campground to cut bank (171km)

Five minutes after I finished last night's entry, a Korean gentleman from the neighbourong site came over and struck up a conversation. We talked until he noticed me yawning, then we both headed to bed. 😃

Up at five, half an hour to toilet (per usual), then Kathy's leftover stirfry, Bruce's peas, and my half lemon and pasta. Off by 7:25, 25 minutes later than advised. Still made it to the top before the bike ban came back into effect at 11. The road was not bad, but the drivers were crazy. Most of them went clear to the other side of the road, which really was not safe to do. It's not like I was the only cyclist, either, though I was the only one carrying weight. Everyone else were day riders.

Lovely ride up then the summit was sheer chaos. I'm not sure where I've seen so many people. I stayed long enough to buy a cookie and a park patch, and refill my water bottles.

The ride down was crazy fast as usual but surprisingly short. Ate lunch -- a black bean burger and a stout -- at Rising Sun, shortly before the park gate. Stopped for a drink at St. Mary's, then found myself walking part of the way up the quite steep incline to Hudson Bay Divide. After that it was rolling terrain to Browning (where Bruce advised not to stay) then flat flat flat till I plunged downhill into Cut Bank. I was tired and it was late, and Google didn't help with any campgrounds, so I splurged on a motel room. The offer of a free breakfast didn't hurt. 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment