Monday, July 30, 2018

day twelve: eureka to 618 talon trail, columbia falls (126km)

Slow getting started as the sprinklers came on in waves, and I was having to shift my gear around to try to avoid it getting wet. Was nice though being able to grab a breakfast coffee from the (24-hour) gas dtation across the highway. The UK guy who's been cycling around the world for 14 months bought me a second coffee. He was interested in riding together for a while, but I find it's really hard to match pace, so I politely declined. Thought I'd see him later in the day as he was only going to Whitefish, but I never did.

First maybe 15km I followed the old highway then back out on the main road with occasionally very narrow shoulders. Stopped for lunch break at Dog Creek; started with a smoothie then ordered a pizza. Manager gave me a couple protein bars to take with me.

Called cousin Bruce from Whitefish. He drove down to Columbia Falls to meet me and offered to take me and the bike back to his and Kathy's place, but I was in the mood for writing and it was, in fact, a lovely quiet ride 18km, most of it along a highway to a border crossing that's now permanently closed. Bruce built the house himself, and it has all the fun eccentricities of such places -- makes me think of the house my Grandpa Rayle built. It's wonderfully secluded in the trees. I tented in the yard and listened to the trains go by along the river through the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment