Wednesday, July 25, 2018

day eight: Salmo to Creston (84km)

Up and over the big one: Kootenay Pass, nearly 1800m, the highest point till I come to Glacier. Had been warned that the mountain was dry but, in fact, there were plenty of small streams cascading down the sheer rock faces where the road blasted through. I was plenty hot but not thirsty.

The ride down (over 30km!) was spoiled by the temporary road surface: they'd stripped off the top layer of asphalt preparatory to resealing. (Supposedly the work is to be finished by Summer 2018. I don't think they'll make it.) The sign at the summit said the roadwork extended from the pass to Summit Stream. I thought, Summit Stream will be near the summit, right? Turned out to be the stream I followed the whole way down and finally crossed at the bottom -- when I could not have been more grateful to have proper road surface again!

I was amazed to cross a wide, swampy area followed by huge, flat fields -- the first farming I'd come upon on this trip -- with the next line of mountains looming in the background. I was welcomed to town by a large Ramada Inn followed by a standard business strip, with the Pair A Dice RV Park and Campground nestled in among. Very grateful for the free (not coin-operated) showers.

The shorts problem seems not to have been a rodent after all. It's something the leather is doing to itself. Hoping to find a new pair in town, otherwise must wait till Cranbrook. Too bad the new pair won't be natural chamois.

No comments:

Post a Comment