Sunday, July 22, 2018

day five: osoyoos to boundary creek provincial park (85km)

Long climb up from Osoyoos to the summit of Anarchist Mountain, though the gradient really was not bad. Disappointed at the elevation on the summit, which was only a bit over 1200m. Had to Yogi for water at a rest stop, because I was already out. Went to a B&B for more water, though that was a mistake. The people (Swiss Germans who spoke limited English) were friendly enough, but the gravel road was a pain on the ride down and impossible -- as it turned out -- to cycle up. Indeed, I struggled to walk it. Oh, and it was over 1km long.

Just down the road I came to -- of all things -- a Mexican restaurant, in the middle of otherwise nowhere. The owner was married to a woman from Mexico City. She did the cooking, he waited tables and baked cinnamon buns. I had the enchiladas, then was persuaded to have hibiscus iced tea and a cinnamon bun.

The summit was another 5km then a wild ride downhill and over a bridge across a scarily deep canyon -- then a brief climb and, as the restaurant owner had warned me -- I plummeted again till I got to Rock Creek.

Didn't make it quite as far as the intended Greenwood, both because I found the provincial park inviting and because I was clearly running some fever. The bee sting area continues to hurt and is somewhat swollen, but there's no indication of infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment