Sunday, July 15, 2018

trial run

The hotel Alan got is in New Westminster, right along the river, so after I reassembled the bike at the hostel (following two breakfasts), I rode out to the end of the peninsula. I couldn't really access the beach right out at the point, so when I got to Wreak Beach I parked the bike, locked it, took the valuables, and headed down the many many many steps to the beach for a selfie with the surf in the background. I knew it was Wreak Beach when various nude joggers went by. (The last time I was on Wreak Beach was 1984, but it was a relatively cold day and the beach was empty.) Came back up to find my (cheap, old) cycle computer gone. Whether someone took it though or it just fell off somewhere (the retaining clip was broken, so the unit was quite loose) I do not know. I backtracked a ways in case it had fallen, but no luck.

From Wreak Beach, I followed the peninsula around to the river and then the river for the 25 or so kilometers to the hotel. Drank nearly two liters of water in route plus stopped for an iced tea (insweetened). On reaching New Westminster and just a couple kilometers from the hotel, I developed sudden severe bike problems: a weird looseness in the handlebars and a tendency for the brakes to seize up. Took me several tries to figure out the problem, but it seems to have all been caused by an obscure loose screw that just needed tightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment