Friday, July 20, 2018

day three: crabbie creek to hedley (110 km)

Again no mobile signal last night, even though I was in a campground outside town. The people who let me share their site (the campground was full) claimed they could get a signal if they stood just right but I had no luck.

Stopped for second breakfast at the park lodge; felt decadent, but the food was good, if simple, and I was able to charge my phone and make a blog entry. I bought samosas for lunch but no groceriesvfrom the store, which really was targeting the casual camping crowd. Chatted with the guy at the next table, who asked the eternal questions: where are you riding from/to.

The rest of the day I mostly followed the river, except for one stretch where it cut through a narrow canyon. There I climbed Sunday Mountain -- slightly lower than the previous day's pass. Past the summit the terrain was suddenly much drier -- a phenomenon I had studied back in high school but never had personal experience of.

Stopped for rewatering and groceries in Princeton. The young man at the grocery store asked me what I had on the bottom of my shoes and stared in amazement. "I've never seen that before!" Small town BC.

I almost stopped at the Provincial Parks campground that wasn't on my map, but the price was high, and I wasn't quite ready to stop. Got to the target campground and rode around the loop looking for a spot. There were lots of suitable flat spots, but I had the feeling I was meant to stay at a designated site. Riding around a second time I ran into loose gravel and went down. Guy came over to see if I was all right -- really, only my dignity was injured -- said the campground was indeed full but he and his wife had plenty of space. So that's what I did. I was short on water, and no water pipe -- never mind showers! --in the campground, so they loaded me up on bottled water.

No comments:

Post a Comment