Monday, July 23, 2018

day six: boundary creek to mud lake (103km)

Stopped and grocery shopped in Grand Forks, the largest place I've seen since Greater Vancouver. Blinked and missed Christina Lake (the town) so before tackling the mountain I followed the signs downhill to the Marina Patio Burger Bar to refill on water. Ended up paying $4,50 for 1,5 liters, yikes.

Glad I did the climb in the evening but boy it was slow. Got caught by oncoming darkness shortly before the summit. Tried following directions to get to the rail trail and camp, but after 20 minutes I hadn't reached the trail and the side road was going exactly back the way I came... Obviously the former highway.

The shoulder back on the highway was wide and the night air cool so I put on my Sam Browne belt and continued my climb on foot. A couple stopped and convinced me to let them take me over the summit to a campsite at Mud Lake. The next morning (so, this morning) on her way to work, the wife stopped back and gave me a lift back to where they'd picked me up, with a refill on my water.

No comments:

Post a Comment